Saturday, April 21, 2012

Baby Cookin' Update - 19


Nineteen Weeks                                           

Size of Baby - A small cantaloupe

Cravings - Starbursts taste so incredible right now! Thanks to my awesome office-mate, Lou Ann, and her obscene Easter stash, I currently have a steady supply of these goodies. Don't worry, I'm doing my best to keep the flow stemmed to somewhat of a reasonable amount. Eggs are also still amazingly good. Almost every morning I make myself a fried egg, cheese, and salt and pepper filled burrito. Oh my word. So good. This morning I added a slightly crispy TofuDog to it. Yum. My mouth is already watering for breakfast tomorrow morning.

What is different this time around - With Ryann I don't think I was ever really worried that she was okay in there. She moved SO much that we never had time to wonder. This time I find myself growing more paranoid in between appointments and always breathe a huge sigh of relief when I hear that little heartbeat thumping along.

Symptoms - I'm feeling much more comfortable these days. I feel like I've finally hit the second trimester ease. However, since I am getting quite large these days, I have started the 10-step-roll-overs in bed and the grunting when tying my shoes. If Jared's around, I just make him do it. I'm definitely more tired than normal. Usually I make a point of waking up at 6am in order to have plenty of time to get ready, eat, and relax before taking off for work at 8am. These days it's all I can do to crawl out of bed at 7:30. I count the mornings that start at 7am as rousing successes. I also usually hit the sack shortly after 8pm each and every night.

Appointments - We have our big mid-way ultrasound this coming Thursday. Have no fears, we will be sharing the news of boy or girl as well as announcing the full name of the little hitchhiker so that everyone can have the privilege of referring to them by an actual name rather than 'it'. So awkward.

At our regular check-up this last week our midwife mentioned that she didn't have any appointments scheduled after us, and 'did we want to pop down to hall and see what we could see on the ultrasound?' Of course we jumped on that. Any extra chances to take a peek in on them we're more than happy to have. She reiterated that she is not an ultrasound tech and doesn't guarantee what she'll see, but we couldn't care less. In the ultrasound we finally realized why this one seems so much calmer than Ryann ever did. Apparently the placenta attached right across the front this time, effectively shielding all the movements with an extra layer. As the baby gets bigger, we'll be sure to feel more and more movement. But for right now, it's just a little to small to be able to kick through the thicker barrier.
                                                              



Jared's minimally successful
'candid' picture.

My equally minimally
successful self-portrait.

No comments:

Post a Comment