Monday, July 16, 2012

Hallelujah! No GD for Me!

No gestational diabetes for me! After I got out of my checkup I went on a triumphant grocery run and bought a cartload of items I had been dreading cutting back on -
  • bananas
  • peaches (2 bags)
  • pears
  • blueberries
  • tomatoes
  • avocados
  • frozen peaches
  • frozen strawberries
  • apple juice concentrate
  • sharp cheddar
  • whole milk
  • prenatal vitamins
The woman ahead of me in line had a couple cases of pepsi and some crackers and was giving me some pretty drastic side-eye.


One of my loves of summer are smoothies, but I absolutely abhor the cleanup. Washing kitchen gadgets is the worst. I also regularly use apple juice in my smoothies, but keeping it in the fridge just takes up way too much space, especially in our new teeny fridge. Recently I've found a way around most of these problems and so have been enjoying many more smoothies in recent days than I had previously. By making up several servings at one time, pouring them into separate serving size canning jars and keeping those jars neatly stacked in the fridge, I always have a smoothie that's easy to grab and go. It also cuts down on the number of times I need to wash the blender. I've also given up keeping apple juice in the fridge and instead use the resealable frozen concentrates. I spoon out just enough of the concentrate to sweeten the smoothie and just add water. Much more compact.

2 comments:

  1. Yay, that's great news! Looks like you had fun at the store!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You realize that if you'd had GD cheese would've been your best friend, right? And prenatal vitamins should NEVER be in the list of things you thought you'd have to cut back on. Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete