Wednesday, November 28, 2012

The Making of the Christmas Cookie Steak

I finally made my first official batch of Christmas cookies the other day!

(The Election Day cookies that my sister and I made don't count. They were supposed to be red and blue with white frosting and sprinkles. However, not wanting to poison ourselves with an overload of dye and starting with a quite yellow dough, the cookies turned out to be red and green. They did not look like Election Day cookies. Sadface.)

These cookies are somewhat labor intensive, requiring two different doughs, repeated refrigeration and freezing, rolling out and rolling up, sprinkle sticking, and frozen log slicing. But boy are they good! And festive. And impressive. All great qualities in a cookie.

These cookies are also easy to alter to fit whatever flavors you might want to feature. The batch that I made were mint and vanilla. I'm planning on making a double batch next week, half of the mint and half red with cinnamon.
On a side note - We have a tiny kitchen, so my work surface for baking and rolling and such is our stovetop. Literally. Secondly, my KitchenAid seems to have a faulty motor and doesn't have any low settings. This leads to a lot of ingredients poofing OUT of the bowl. The picture below is even after I shielded the bowl with a kitchen towel. Grrr.

2 comments:

  1. It's fun when you bake from scratch. Starting with nothing and adding one ingredient at a time. At least you know what you're eating that way. Your cookies look delicious, btw.

    Wear an apron and you're really ready to roll! You can be Julia Childs or an Amish housewife...fun to pretend while you're at it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look delicious! I'd love to learn how to make those!

    ReplyDelete